Friday 19 June 2009

The M255 exam

That's M255 completed.

What advice would I give to the younger me regarding study for this course if I could go back in time?

I'd say pay more attention to what you've said about studying already, particularly reviewing work. One of the most useful elements I've found has been keeping a glossary of terms, start it earlier, check and revise it more often. Some courses give a list of relevant terms at the end of each unit, M255 for example, use it and if there are learning outcomes highlighted use those too.

I typed up all the terms that were unfamiliar and many that were familiar in to one big document, I ignored only those terms that were second nature. I used the glossary and appended it with my own explanations and code examples, I reviewed it to make sure I was remembering the terminology. It is also useful to do this for terminology ahead of the units being studied, it makes it easier to skim read and speed read and provides conceptual understanding. Do more of this and do it more often.


Those methods paid dividends when it came to revision, I had a good idea where my weak spots were and I could concentrate on them, matching knowledge against the required learning outcomes. If that sort of help is there in the units and modules then don't ignore it, it almost is like learning by numbers. I bought every past paper available from the OUSA online shop and did almost all of them under exam conditions. I struggled with some of the part two questions for all of the papers so I put a lot of effort in to practicing and understanding all the coding concepts, admittedly I only really did this in the week before the exam but by the end of that period I felt much more comfortable.

Part of the reason for struggling is that no matter how much you pretend the conditions are that of an exam it obviously isn't, and the temptation to throw the towel in and look for further assistance is great rather than actually having no option but to sit there and think about it. I still thought there may be difficulty with some parts of those questions but was surprised that they appeared easier than expected, probably a sure sign I've cocked them up... One of them was a very close re-working of one on a past paper, which was comforting, for another the question was longer than two pages, which was unsettling.

I have no idea when the results will be available.

No comments: