Friday 13 February 2009

Reflective learning and T209

On the news this morning was a story about academic Diplomas and Prof Smith's attack on them, comments which he later retracted. Comments were made in the news story about reflective learning, as this was the radio they didn't cover it in much depth and tried to set up a two-sided argument of opposing views. Reflective learning is a part of the T209 course and it caused an outbreak of messages on the First Class conference system. All the comments seemed to be opposed to it, it was seen as a waste of time, interfered with more serious work, was patronising and time consuming.

I don't really agree with those views, although in some cases I can see that they might be valid. If I want to really learn and understand a course subject then the type of activites used in reflective learning do help in committing information to long term memory. On the other hand if I am doing the course purely because it gives me 30 or 60 points and I am never going to touch the subject area again then the time spent reviewing might be considered a waste and I would use other techniques to commit information to memory for just as long as is required. However, I think the techniques are valuable in all areas of study and should aid in faster understanding of and ability to retain information.

Here's a rough analogy. Like riding a bike, if all a person does is want to ride to the end of the road as fast as possible they might learn rudimentary balance skills and the technique of turning the pedals quickly. But practise, repetition and reinforcement of the techniques of cycling would give the confidence and skill to ride anywhere.

In some respects the course material could be viewed as patronising. Many on the course have already well developed learning skills. My view is that if the work appears to be easy I get on with it and am happy that something can be covered quickly and if I pick up useful, new information on the way it is a bonus.

A topical reference, whatever next.

No comments: